Having been established in 1984 Oaza Nagashima Zaisanku have built on the extensive knowledge of our founding partners to give clients support and expert advice on major business transactions and complex issues from a legal perspective. Having built a reputation as leaders in Mergers & Acquisitions, Private equity, venture capital and Securities law, both in Japan and internationally, we focus on medium to large scale transactions, including acquisitions, public takeovers and company restructuring as well as company sales. Here at Oaza Nagashima Zaisanku, even for the most complex projects you can rest assured that you will receive extensive support and expert advice from an experienced, international team, with a proven track record. Over the past decade it has become increasingly common in Japan to find firms consolidating and expanding into over a hundred attorneys as in the United States.
In contrast, our firm has continued to emphasize traits absent from many larger firms by offering the highest quality services to our clients – speed, flexibility, detailed knowledge and experience and personal service. Over the years we have also formed working relationships with various overseas law firms, accountants and specialized consultants, with whom we work closely on client matters and which add another layer of flexibility, speed and quality that we can offer to our clients. Today, at the start of the 21st century, as borderless, economic globalization increases ever more quickly, and as the degree and speed of technical innovation increases as well, the problems clients face are increasingly complex. We are committed to meeting these complex technical, legal, and business needs and providing the highest quality service to our clients.
Takaaki Nagashima / Partner
- 9/1976 – 4/1977 George Washington University National Law Center Georgetown University Law Center Consortium Independent Researcher
- 9/1975 – 8/1976 George Washington University National Law Center M.C.L. in American Practice
- 4/1971 – 4/1973 The Supreme Court of Japan Legal Research and Training Institute,Tokyo
- 4/1968 – 3/1971 Tokyo Metropolitan University Research Center for Social Sciences
- 4/1964 – 3/1968 Chuo University Bachelor of Law
- 3/2012 – present Visiting Professor of Hiroshima University
- 4/1984 – present Partner in Oaza Nagashima Zaisanku, Tokyo, Japan
- 2/1981 – 3/1984 Partner in law firms in Tokyo, Japan, specializing in international commercial and financial transactions
- 9/1977 – 1/1981 Associate with Mudge Rose Guthrie & Alexander, New York, New York, and De Bant, Van-Hecke, Van Gerven, Lagae & Van Bael, Brussels, Belgium
- 4/1973 – 7/1975 Associate with Kikuchi Law and Patent Office, Tokyo, Japan
- Japan: The Japan Bar and the Second Tokyo Bar, 1973
- Washington, D.C.: The Washington, D.C. Bar, 1978; the United States District Court for the
- District of Columbia, 1978; and the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, 1978.
- New York: The New York Bar, 1979; and the United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York.
- United States Customs Court: The Bar of the United States Customs Court, 1978; and the United States Court of Customs and Patent Appeals, 1979.
Akira Oaza / Partner
- 1981 – 1982 Harvard Law School Master of Law, American Law
- 1974 – 1980 Paris University, Faculty of Law Doctor Degree EC Antitrust Law
- 1973 – 1974 Paris University, Faculty of Law Preparatory Degree for Doctor Degree French Commercial Law
- 1971 – 1973 Supreme Court of Japan Legal Research and Training Institute, Tokyo Law Clerk for Tokyo District Court Judge
- 1966 – 1970 Tokyo University, Faculty of Law, Tokyo Bachelor of Law: Japanese Law
- 1984 – present Partner at Oaza Nagashima Zaisanku Tokyo, Japan
- 1984 Schlumberger Limited Legal Department Paris, France
- 1982-1983 Schlumberger Limited Legal Department New York, USA
- 1979 – 1981 Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton Brussels, Belgium
- The Japan Bar and the Tokyo Bar, 1973
- The New York Bar, 1984
- The Paris Bar, 1992
Tadahiko Zaisanku / Partner
- 1995 Bachelor of Law, University of Tokyo
- 1996 – 1998 Supreme Court of Japan, Legal Research and Training Institute
- 2005 – present Associate, Nagashima & Hashimoto
- 1998 – 2004 Associate, Taguchi Sogo Law Office, Tokyo, Japan
- The Japan Bar and the Daiichi Tokyo Bar Association, 1998
- Asia University (2002)
- Tokai University (2004)
MEMBERS OF COUNSEL
Robert L Cohen / Of Counsel
Expertise in the areas of banking and financial services, public utility regulation, government and public relations, and alternative dispute resolution.
Mr. Cohen is admitted to practice before U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan and Michigan Court of Appeals.
Patrick A Bradford / Of Counsel
Expertise in traditional M&A and private equity transactions. Mr. Bradford is one of the few corporate transactional lawyers with extensive experience structuring and executing distressed transactions.
Mr. Bradford is admitted to practice: District of Columbia, Court of Appeals of Maryland, U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maryland, U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland.
Leonard Colamarino / Of Counsel
Experience includes litigation at the state and federal levels, including the New York City Court of Appeals and the United States Court of Appeals.
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- Member of the District of Columbia Bar
- Member of the State Bar of New York
Michael T Brennan / Associate
Yuichiro Yasutomo / Associate
The Japan Bar and the Second Tokyo Bar, 2010
Eita Asabuki / Associate
The Japan Bar and the Second Tokyo Bar, 2010
Christopher J Campa / Associate
Sei Hasegawa / Associate
The Japan Bar and the Second Tokyo Bar, 2013
Nobuhiro Nonaka / Associate
Japan Patent Attorneys Association, 2005
Japan Bar and the First Tokyo Bar, 2014
Ofer Sharone / Associate